Ex-Co-op man is real life Tarzan

A Manchester supermarket security guard has moved to Africa to live in the jungle as a real-life Tarzan.DeWet Du Toit, 24, has swapped his Co-op uniform for a loin cloth and spends his days swinging through trees and eating insects.He became obsessed by Tarzan while living in Namibia as a young boy, where his father was a collector of Tarzan books and comics.He said: "People might say I'm crazy, but I know this is what I was born to do. I'm like Tarzan in so many ways."My best friend is an elephant called Shaka, and I spend more time with monkeys, zebras and crocodiles than I do with people.

"I'm not the kind of guy who loves partying, I certainly never get drunk. I prefer to eat the fruits and berries that I find in the jungle. I also know what insects to eat."

The former bodybuilder films his daily life and hopes Hollywood scouts cast him in a movie about his hero.The farmer's son spends three nights a week alone in the bush capturing his antics on camera.The rest of his time is spent at his parent's home in George, South Africa, after arriving from Manchester in 2007.He added: "It does get lonely - I would love to find a Jane to help me pass the time."

Comments